Providence Friars vs. Syracuse Orange Pick
Providence vs Syracuse Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Wednesday February 20, 7:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from JustBet
Point Spread: Syracuse -12.5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Providence is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Syracuse
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Providence’s last 7 games on the road
- Providence is 4-15 SU in its last 19 games on the road
- Providence is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Syracuse
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Providence’s last 5 games when playing on the road against Syracuse
- Syracuse is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Providence
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Syracuse’s last 5 games at home
- Syracuse is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Providence
- Syracuse is 21-4 SU in its last 25 games
- Syracuse is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Syracuse’s last 5 games when playing at home against Providence
Providence flies under the radar in the Big East, but this Friars team is getting much better. The Friars have one of the most improved players in the nation in Bryce Cotton. Cotton leads the Big East in scoring at 20.4 points per game. He has led the team through its recent hot streak. Kadeem Batts and LaDontae Henton form a talented tandem in the frontcourt for the Friars. Batts averages 15 points and 7 rebounds, while Henton averages 13 points and 8 boards per game.
The Friars always tried to outscore opponents under previous coach Keno Davis, but the Friars are much better on the defensive end now. Providence is holding opponents to just 41.4 percent from the floor overall. Even more impressive is the fact that opponents are making only 28.1 percent of their three-point jumpers. The Friars defense has held three of their last four opponents to less than 55 points. This is a team that could be dangerous in the Big East Tournament this year.
Syracuse was one of the hottest teams in the country after their road win over Louisville a few weeks ago, but they haven’t played very well of late. The Orange have been out of sync offensively in their losses at Villanova, UConn, and Pittsburgh in the last couple weeks. Syracuse really doesn’t have many reliable outside shooters. Getting James Southerland back in the lineup recently was huge for the team, because he is a great veteran leader and a consistent outside shooter. Michael Carter-Williams makes some brilliant plays from the point guard spot, but he is shooting 37 percent from the floor. Brandon Triche is the team’s leading scorer at 15 points per game, and he is often underrated by many college basketball experts.
The Orange have struggled on the offensive end at times, but their defense has been very good all year. Their matchup zone is always tough to penetrate, and this year’s team has a lot of athleticism and length that makes them difficult to shoot over. Opponents are shooting only 37.2 percent from the floor against the Orange. Syracuse is holding opponents to just 54.2 points per game on their home floor this season.
Prediction: Providence +12.5
Both of these teams have been far more consistent on the defensive end. Providence could easily sneak up on Syracuse if they aren’t at 100 percent here. I like the underdog.
Syracuse 68 Providence 62
Date and Time: 02/20/2013 19:00
Street: 900 Irving Ave
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- MLB Trends for Series Starting 5/20 - May 20, 2013
- Detroit Tigers vs. Texas Rangers Pick - May 19, 2013
- Cincinnati Reds vs. Philadelphia Phillies Pick 5/18/13 - May 18, 2013
- MLB Trends for Series Starting 5/17 - May 17, 2013
- San Antonio Spurs vs. Golden State Warriors Game 6 Pick - May 16, 2013