Michigan State Spartans vs. Michigan Wolverines Pick
College Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Sunday March 3, 4:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from Bookmaker
Point Spread: Michigan -4
Basketball Betting Game Trends
Michigan State Spartans
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Michigan State’s last 7 games when playing on the road against Michigan
- Michigan State is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Michigan
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Michigan State’s last 6 games on the road
- Michigan State is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Michigan
- Michigan State is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Michigan’s last 7 games when playing at home against Michigan State
- Michigan is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Michigan State
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Michigan’s last 9 games when playing Michigan State
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Michigan’s last 6 games at home
- Michigan is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Michigan State put a beat down on the Michigan Wolverines in East Lansing last month, but now these two rivals will meet in Ann Arbor on Sunday. The Wolverines are coming off a stunning loss at the hands of lowly Penn State. Michigan State is in a tie for second place in the Big Ten, while Michigan is one game behind them at 10-5. Tensions will be high for this Big Ten battle.
Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans have progressively gotten a lot better as the season has moved along. It’s the course the Spartans seem to take every year, which says a lot about how good of a coach they have. Michigan State seemed to have a lot of flaws early in the year, but they are starting to look like a real Final Four contender now. The Spartans are always strong on the boards, and this year is no different. With Derrick Nix and Adreian Payne on the inside, this Michigan State team can play what some like to call “Bully Ball” against just about everyone. In the first meeting with Michigan, the Spartans won the rebounding battle 40-28.
Freshman Gary Harris has excelled from day one on campus. Harris is second in the team in scoring, and his versatility on the perimeter makes him a major asset to this squad. Keith Appling leads the team in scoring, and he is making better decisions with the basketball so far this year. Michigan State has five players who average at least 9.5 points per game, so scoring depth isn’t a problem for the Spartans this year.
Michigan was in the top five nationally, which made their loss at Penn State earlier this week really hard to see coming. The Wolverines are still a young team though, so occasional let downs aren’t completely shocking. The big test now for the Wolverines will be how they respond to that loss. Can this team grow up by beating their in-state rivals or will they be shoved around by the Spartans a second time? You have to wonder if Michigan won’t try to get some easy baskets in transition so the Spartans can’t set up their solid half court defense.
Trey Burke is the man who gets everything for the Michigan Wolverines. Burke is probably the best point guard in the nation, and he is extremely dangerous with a basketball in his hands. He shoots 50 percent from the floor, and he has 193 assists compared to just 54 turnovers. Burke’s ability to penetrate gets Tim Hardaway Jr. and Nik Stauskas a lot of open looks on the perimeter. Hardaway Jr. struggled with his shot last year, but he has been very good this season. Freshmen Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson Jr. are solid on the inside, but they’ll have their hands full against the Spartans front line.
Both of these teams will be a tough out in March, and I expect a tight game all the way in this one. Look for this one to go right down to the final buzzer. I’ll take the points and the underdog.
Michigan 66 Michigan State 64
Date and Time: 03/03/2013 16:00
Street: 333 E Stadium Blvd
Locality: Ann Arbor
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles Pick - May 22, 2013
- MLB Trends for Series Starting 5/20 - May 20, 2013
- Detroit Tigers vs. Texas Rangers Pick - May 19, 2013
- Cincinnati Reds vs. Philadelphia Phillies Pick 5/18/13 - May 18, 2013
- MLB Trends for Series Starting 5/17 - May 17, 2013