Athletics @ Royals Baseball Free Pick
Starting Pitchers: Oakland Athletics (McCarthy) vs. Kansas City Royals (Hochevar)
Date/Time: June 2nd, 2:10 PM EST
Television: MLB Network
MLB Betting Odds from 5Dimes
Moneyline: Athletics (+100) Royals (-115)
MLB Betting Game Trends
- Oakland is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland’s last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland’s last 6 games on the road
- Oakland is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland’s last 5 games when playing Kansas City
Kansas City Royals
- Kansas City is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Kansas City’s last 7 games at home
- Kansas City is 6-18 SU in its last 24 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Kansas City’s last 5 games when playing Oakland
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Kansas City’s last 5 games when playing at home against Oakland
Bottom feeders from the AL West and the AL Central are going to meet in MLB betting action on Saturday afternoon the MLB Network, when the Oakland Athletics face off with the Kansas City Royals.
The A’s definitely have some great, young pitching, and there is no doubt that that is going to be what has to carry the team this year with an offense that just isn’t have the goods to cut it. Brandon McCarthy is currently on the 15-day disabled list, but he is going to be back in the saddle on Saturday in KC. He left his last start on May 17th with a shoulder injury, and he was just more or less put on the DL as a precautionary measure. Oakland won the last four games in which McCarthy took the mound, and it hopes that that will be a streak that continues to grow now that he is off the DL. McCarthy has a ton of talent, but he is just 32-36 for his career and has basically been a .500 pitcher for the most part every step of the way. Last year, he went just 9-9 for the A’s in spite of the fact that he had five complete games and a 3.32 ERA. This year, he has a 2.95 ERA and a 3-3 record. The cause for concern might be the walks that McCarthy is issuing. Last year, he had just 25 walks in 25 starts. This year, he has 16 in nine starts, though three of those free passes were issued in his last start against the Texas Rangers.
The Royals are really just a terrible team, especially here at home, where they enter this series with Oakland at just 5-17 this year. It’s hard to believe that it has been six years since Kansas City drafted Luke Hochevar with the No. 1 overall pick in the MLB Draft. Since that point though, he has been a brutal disappointment, and the time is coming that he is going to be given up on for sure. He has a 6.19 ERA this year and a 3-5 record, though at least he is striking out a lot of batters. Hochevar has 25 strikeouts against just six walks in his last four starts. Against Oakland though, Hochevar has been a disaster in his career. He is 0-6 in seven starts against the A’s, and he has a 6.39 career ERA. At home this year, Hochevar has been terrible as well, going 0-3 with a 9.87 ERA in four outings.
It is just really, really hard to want to back Hochevar in this situation. Neither of these teams are all that good, but we still think that the A’s are the right side to back on Saturday afternoon.
Oakland Athletics @ Kansas City Royals Pick: Oakland Athletics (+100)
Latest posts by Adam Markowitz (see all)
- Mountain West Championship Game Pick: Utah State vs. Fresno State - December 6, 2013
- SEC Championship Game Pick: Missouri vs. Auburn - December 6, 2013
- Pac-12 Championship Game Pick: Stanford vs. Arizona State - December 6, 2013
- NFL Betting: NFL Matchups for Week 14 - December 6, 2013
- NBA Pick: Denver Nuggets vs. Boston Celtics - December 6, 2013