Boston Celtics vs. Philadelphia 76ers Pick
Date/Time: Tuesday, March 5, 7:00 pm EST
Basketball Odds from JustBet
Point Spread: Celtics -1
NBA Betting Trends
- Boston is 1-7 ATS in its last 8 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- Boston is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Boston’s last 5 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Boston’s last 12 games when playing Philadelphia
- Boston is 7-13-1 ATS in its last 21 games on the road
- Philadelphia is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games
- Philadelphia is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games at home
- Philadelphia is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Philadelphia’s last 9 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Philadelphia’s last 12 games when playing Boston
- Philadelphia is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Boston
The Boston Celtics were thought to be dead in the water when Rajon Rondo went down with an injury, but the veteran Celtics have been playing pretty solid basketball of late. Boston is 31-27 and in the seventh spot in the Eastern Conference playoff standings. Philadelphia is ninth in the Eastern Conference, but they are 6.5 games behind the eighth place Milwaukee Bucks. It looks like the 76ers would need an improbable red hot run to even contend for a playoff spot. Let’s take a look at Tuesday’s matchup between these two.
Boston has cranked up their defense over the last few weeks, and that has helped the team stay in the hunt. Opponents are shooting just 43.9 percent from the floor against Boston this season. They have only given up more than 100 points when the game doesn’t go into overtime once in the past ten games. The one game that they allowed more than 100 was against the Lakers, who used their size to bully the Celtics frontcourt.
Doc Rivers gave Boston’s veteran players: Paul Pierce, Jason Terry, and Kevin Garnett the day off on Sunday as the team prepared for a three game road trip which starts with this game in Philly. Jordan Crawford and Terrence Williams are trying to get used to the Boston system, since they are going to be getting a lot of playing time the rest of the way. Paul Pierce leads the team in scoring at 18.6 points per game. Kevin Garnett leads the team in field goal percentage at 50 percent. Jeff Green has stepped up his game in a big way since Rondo has gone down, and the team needs that to continue.
Philadelphia got into the playoffs and made some major noise last year. Doug Collins’ team used its scrappy defense and energetic style to make waves last season, but it isn’t working quite the same this year. Philadelphia had been hoping to have Andrew Bynum in the lineup long before now, but now it is looking as if they might be without Bynum all season. Without the big man in the middle, the team has struggled on both sides of the ball. Andre Iguodala was traded away in the offseason to get Bynum, and Iguodala was the team’s best perimeter defender. It’s clear now that the 76ers really miss Iguodala’s contributions on the defensive end.
Jrue Holiday and Thaddeus Young have been the Sixers most consistent performers on the offensive end. Holiday is averaging 19.1 points and 8.5 assists per game in a real breakout season. Young averages 15 points and eight boards per game. Evan Turner is a talented wing who dominates at times, but he doesn’t quite have the consistency the team is looking for just yet. Nick Young and Jason Richardson will both miss this game with injuries. Philadelphia is averaging just 92 points per game, which is second worst in the NBA.
Boston has been beating the teams they should beat of late, and at this point the Sixers are probably a team they should beat. Look for the well-rested Celtics to pick up the win here.
Boston 95 Philadelphia 91
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/17 and 4/18 - April 19, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/14 and 4/15 - April 14, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/10 and 4/11 - April 10, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/7 - April 7, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting April 4 - April 4, 2014