Butler vs VCU Pick
Butler vs. VCU Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Saturday March 2, 12:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from Sportsbook.AG
Point Spread: VCU -7
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Butler is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games on the road
- Virginia Commonwealth is 12-1 SU in its last 13 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Virginia Commonwealth’s last 5 games
- Virginia Commonwealth is 19-3 SU in its last 22 games
- Virginia Commonwealth is 2-7 ATS in its last 9 games
It’s a high noon battle between Butler and VCU in a key Atlantic 10 game. Butler is ranked 20th in the nation and travel to VCU for what should be a very entertaining basketball game. This is the first time these schools have met in almost two years. Their last meeting was in the Final Four, a game which saw Butler prevail giving them a chance to play for the National Championship.
The media is often comparing the coaches of these two schools. Brad Stevens of Butler and Shaka Smart of VCU do have a lot in common. Both are great coaches that have taken their respective schools from relative anonymity to basketball powers in just a few years. Both are young and exciting coaches and even their teams sport the same record at 22-6. The comparisons can go on and on but their teams style of play are vastly different.
Brad Stevens’ Butler squad is a half court team that is lead in scoring by Rotnei Clarke (17 ppg). Clarke and fellow back court mate Kellen Dunham (10.6 ppg) will be relied on heavily to handle the VCU press. The Bulldogs have had over a week off to prepare for this game and they will be prepared. However, being prepared and executing are two different things.
Shaka Smart and his VCU Rams love to run and pressure. The more hectic the game becomes the more they like it. This is a deep team with 8 players averaging at least 10 minutes. When you pressure this much you need to be deep. Juvonte Reddic (14.4 ppg) leads VCU in scoring and is also an integral part of VCU’s diamond trap. He will look to wreak as much havoc as possible against Butler.
What makes this game so interesting is the complete opposite way these teams play basketball. Both teams have had over a week to prepare and will be ready to play. It comes down to whether or not Butler can handle the VCU pressure. The atmosphere will be electric and both teams will need to keep their emotions in check. Butler seems to struggle a bit with teams that play the style that VCU does. They had trouble with Saint Louis and their pressure and they will see double the pressure against VCU. With revenge on their minds and the home crowd behind them I like VCU to pull away at the end in this one.
Latest posts by Cole Ryan (see all)
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament: Indiana State vs. Wichita State - March 9, 2014
- NBA Betting: Thunder at Lakers - March 9, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Michigan State Spartans at Ohio State Buckeyes - March 9, 2014
- Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament: Mercer vs. Florida Gulf - March 9, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Virginia Cavaliers at Maryland Terrapins - March 9, 2014