Cincinnati Bearcats vs. Creighton Blue Jays Pick
March Madness Picks
Date/Time: Friday March 22, 2:45 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from Bookmaker
Point Spread: Creighton -3.5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Cincinnati is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 neutral site games
- Cincinnati is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Friday games
- Under is 5-0 in Cincinnati’s last 5 non-conference games
- Under is 5-0 in Cincinnati’s last 5 neutral site games
- Under is 13-3 in Cincinnati’s last 16 games following a S.U. loss
Creighton Blue Jays
- Creighton is 4-0-1 ATS in their last 5 Friday games
- Creighton is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a S.U. win
- Creighton is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a ATS win
- Creighton is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record
- Under is 4-1 in Creighton’s last 5 Friday games
- Under is 12-4 in Creighton’s last 16 overall
- Under is 6-2 in Creighton’s last 8 games following a S.U. win
One of the more interesting first round (or technically second round if you include Play In games) is the tenth seeded Cincinnati Bearcats against the Creighton Blue Jays. Cincinnati started the season red hot, but they stumbled their way through a tough Big East schedule. Creighton was ranked in the top ten at one point, but they had a terrible stretch in the middle of the season. Both of these teams won their first game last year in March Madness. Which one will make it into the Round of 32 this year?
The Cincinnati Bearcats started the season 12-0, but they went just 11-11 the rest of the way to finish 22-11. The Bearcats rank seventh in the nation in rebounding, so they can really get after it on the glass. Defensively, the Bearcats are very good. Opponents have shot just 38.5 percent from the floor for the season. Cincinnati hasn’t given up more than 73 points in a single game all year.
The problem for the Bearcats has been their offense. Cincinnati is shooting just 40.2 percent from the floor as a team. Their leading scorers, Sean Kilpatrick and Cashmere Wright, both shoot about 39.5 percent from the floor. In Big East play, the Bearcats made less than 29 percent of their three-point shots. Cincinnati has three guards averaging at least 11 points per game, but they lack a true low post scoring threat. Titus Rubles is the team’s leading scorer in the frontcourt, but he averages just 5.7 points per game. Offensive efficiency has been a problem all year for this squad.
The Creighton Blue Jays do not have the same problems as the Cincinnati Bearcats. The Blue Jays rank number one in the nation in field goal percentage offense. Creighton is shooting an amazing 51 percent from the floor as a team. Even more impressive is that this team shoots 42 percent from beyond the arc, which is also best in the nation. Doug McDermott knocks down 56 percent of his shots from the floor, and he shoots a ridiculous 50 percent from downtown. McDermott is a legitimate contender for Player of the Year, and he averages 23.2 points per game. Grant Gibbs and Ethan Wragge are both big men who can step out and shoot it from three-point range.
Creighton was 18-1 after their first 19 games of the season, but they lost five of their next eight before finishing with five straight victories. The Blue Jays offense was great all year, but turnovers were a problem down the stretch. Aggressive defenses have been able to take it away from the Blue Jays, and Cincinnati’s defense definitely brings a lot of pressure. Creighton’s defense faltered a bit against top teams this year as well.
Free Pick: Cincinnati +3.5
The Bearcats have been locking opponents down like no other of late, and Creighton doesn’t particularly like to run the floor. The defenses should control a very close game here. I like grabbing the points here.
Creighton 63 Cincinnati 62
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- Basketball Pick: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Penn State Nittany Lions - February 27, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Cal Golden Bears vs. Arizona Wildcats - February 26, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Florida Gators vs. Vanderbilt Commodores - February 25, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Louisville vs. Cincinnati - February 22, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Michigan State Spartans vs. Purdue Boilermakers - February 20, 2014