March Madness Picks
Date/Time: March 22, 4:40 pm ET
College Basketball Odds from BetDSI
Point Spread: Illinois -1
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Colorado is 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS loss
- Colorado is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big Ten
- Colorado is 7-2 ATS in their last 9 non-conference games
- Under is 5-1 in Colorado’s last 6 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600
- Under is 13-3 in Colorado’s last 16 games following a S.U. loss
- Over is 4-1 in Colorado’s last 5 neutral site games
Illinois Fighting Illini
- Illinois is 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss
- Illinois is 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600
- Illinois is 1-4 ATS in their last 5 non-conference games
- Over is 4-0 in Illinois last 4 vs. Pacific-12
- Under is 6-1 in Illinois last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600
- Under is 10-2 in Illinois last 12 games following a ATS loss
- Over is 4-1 in Illinois last 5 non-conference games
The 7/10 game in the East Region tips on Friday afternoon at 4:40 p.m. in Austin, where the Colorado Buffaloes will take on the Illinois Fighting Illini in what could be one of the more competitive games on the second round docket in the NCAA Tournament.
The Buffs proved time and time again this year that they had the ability to beat some of the best teams in America, and it wouldn’t be all that shocking if they ultimately made a nice run to the Sweet 16 or something of the sorts. This is a team that knocked off the Colorado State Rams, a very comparable team to this Illinois outfit, and it also beat the Arizona Wildcats at home (and should have beat them on the road), as well as the underrated Oregon Ducks twice. The talent is most certainly there to do some real damage. F Andre Roberson is a double-double machine, and he is one of the four players on this roster averaging double digits in scoring. G Spencer Dinwiddie averages 15.6 points per game, and he is going to be the most lethal scorer on the court in this one in all likelihood. Watch out for G Askia Booker as well. This is a man that only hit 30.6 percent of his long range shots this year, but if he gets cooking, this offense could explode.
There was a wonder for some time as to whether Illinois was going to get into the NCAA Tournament or not, and as has been proven by the seedings, that was never really in any doubt in the eyes of the Selection Committee. Still, this is an overrated team at this point, as it really isn’t a club that is particularly strong offensively or defensively. G Brandon Paul, G DJ Richardson, and G Tracy Abrams are all streaky shooters, and none of the three are shooting better than 40.5 percent from the field. Matching up with Roberson is going to be a whole other issue as well. There isn’t a man on the team that averages more than 4.6 rebounds per game, and that’s less than half of what Roberson is good for on his own. It’s not a great matchup for Head Coach John Groce’s team, and he is going to have to get this tempo going and get the Buffs on the run if the Illini are going to continue to dance into the weekend.
We really think that the wrong team is favored in this game, and we aren’t all that sure that the teams aren’t just seeded backwards. Colorado is a club that deserves a lot of credit for its play in the Pac-12 this season, and we think that it will get the job done against one of the many overrated teams in the Big Ten this season. Colorado 69 – Illinois 64
Date and Time: 03/22/2013 16:40
Street: 1701 Red River St
is a staff writer living in the Orlando area. He has covered NFL, MLB, college football, CFL, AFL, NBA, college basketball, NASCAR, golf, tennis, and the NHL for a number of various outlets in his career, and he has been published by a number of different media outlets, including the Orlando Sentinel and the Wall Street Journal.