Cotton Bowl Pick: Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma
College Football Bowl Picks
AT&T Cotton Bowl Preview
Date/Time: January 4, 8:00 PM EST
College Football Odds from UcaBet
Point Spread: Texas A&M -4.5
Football Betting Game Trends
Texas A&M Aggies
- Texas A&M is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games when playing Oklahoma
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Texas A&M’s last 10 games when playing Oklahoma
- Texas A&M is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- Texas A&M is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Oklahoma
- Oklahoma is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing Texas A&M
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Oklahoma’s last 10 games when playing Texas A&M
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Oklahoma’s last 5 games
- Oklahoma is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- Oklahoma is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games
AT&T Cotton Bowl Pick – January 4th
The newest Heisman Trophy winner will be on full display in Cowboys Stadium against a very talented Oklahoma Sooners team. This isn’t the BCS Championship game, but it is definitely one of the best bowl matchups of the season. Can Johnny Manziel lead the Aggies to another win or will the annual Heisman bowl game disappointment continue for another season?
Every year it seems the Heisman Trophy winner flops in their bowl game. Maybe it is because of all the attention or all the award ceremonies, but for whatever reason they have been very poor in their first game after the awarding of the trophy. RG3 was an exception to the rule last year for Baylor. Texas A&M hopes that Johnny Manziel can be another exception to the rule this season. Manziel was the first freshman to win the Heisman, and his season was nothing short of spectacular. He threw for 3,419 yards and completed 68% of his passes on the season. He also ran for 19 scores and averaged 6.4 yards per carry.
Manziel didn’t do it alone this year. The Aggies have three good running backs in Malena, Michael, and Williams. They also have two receivers with at least 64 catches. The Aggies offense was third in the nation in total yards and points per game this season. Defensively, the Aggies are a bend but don’t break defense. They have been great at forcing turnovers, and the secondary is the strength of this unit. Texas A&M allowed 22.5 points per game during the regular season.
Oklahoma had hopes of getting to the title game this year, but their losses to Kansas State and Notre Dame kept them out of that game. The Sooners still went 10-2, and they seem to be playing their best football of the year right now. Oklahoma has won five straight games. Landry Jones started the year slowly, but finished with an amazing 3,979 yards through the air. He’ll top 4,000 passing yards in this game, and that is quite an accomplishment. Damien Williams is the team’s leading rusher. Blake Bell comes into the game and runs the Wildcat occasionally to keep the defense honest. Kenny Stills caught 75 passes and 11 touchdowns in an impressive season. The Sooners average 40.2 points per game.
Oklahoma’s defense has been up and down this year. They allowed 48 and 49 points in back-to-back weeks against West Virginia and Oklahoma State, but they were great in wins over TCU and Texas. The front seven is good at getting after the passer, but they struggle against power running attacks. Manziel’s athleticism is going to be a real test for this unit. They’ll have to pass the test if the Sooners are going to have a chance of winning this game.
Free Pick: Over 72
It’s risky to predict, but I do think Manziel will be great despite all his recent accolades. Oklahoma’s offense shouldn’t have much trouble moving the ball either. This one looks like a real shootout.
Texas A&M 42 Oklahoma 38
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- Basketball Pick: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Penn State Nittany Lions - February 27, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Cal Golden Bears vs. Arizona Wildcats - February 26, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Florida Gators vs. Vanderbilt Commodores - February 25, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Louisville vs. Cincinnati - February 22, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Michigan State Spartans vs. Purdue Boilermakers - February 20, 2014