Creighton Blue Jays vs. Duke Blue Devils Pick
March Madness Picks
Date/Time: Sunday March 24, 2013 9:40 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from Wagerweb
Point Spread: Duke -5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
Creighton Blue Jays
- Creighton is 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games following a S.U. win.
- Creighton is 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Creighton is 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
- Creighton is 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- Creighton is 6-0 ATS in their last 6 neutral site games.
Duke Blue Devils
- Duke is 6-2 ATS in their last 8 neutral site games.
- Duke is 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Duke is 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
- Duke is 0-4 ATS in their last 4 NCAA Tournament games.
The Creighton Blue Jays squeaked into the Round of 32 with a hard fought win over Cincinnati on Friday afternoon. Duke picked up a comfortable win over the Albany Great Danes. Creighton is arguably the most talented mid-major team in the country, so Duke will have to play well to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. Let’s take a closer look at this game.
Creighton is led by Player of the Year candidate Doug McDermott. His dad is the team’s head coach, and he is the team’s stay player. McDermott averages 23.3 points per game. The most dangerous part about him is that he can score from anywhere on the floor. McDermott shoots 50 percent from beyond the arc, but he can also dominate a game inside the paint. McDermott and Greg Echenique are the Blue Jays two primary rebounders in the post, and they’ll have to try to outmuscle Mason Plumlee in this one.
Five Creighton Blue Jays shoot 40 percent or better from three-point range. As a team, the Blue Jays are first in the nation at 42.2 percent from long range. Creighton ranks second in the nation in field goal percentage at 50.6 percent. The Blue Jays problem this year has been taking care of the ball against their best opponents. They’ll have to make good decisions with the basketball in this one if they hope to spring the upset over the Blue Devils.
Duke wasn’t going to let Albany knock them out in the Round of 64 like Lehigh did last year, but the Blue Devils still have a lot to prove. This is a team that has the potential to do something big in the tournament, but they have been a little disappointing in the last couple years. Before the ACC Tournament, many expected Duke to get a number one seed, but the Blue Devils were stunned by Maryland in their first ACC Tournament game. Duke has looked like a team capable of winning a national title at times, but consistency has been an issue. Putting up points isn’t a problem for Duke. The Blue Devils are averaging 78.1 points per game this season.
Like Creighton, Duke has tons of guys who can shoot it from outside. The Blue Devils shoot 40.5 percent from three-point range as a team. Seth Curry, Quinn Cook, and Ryan Kelly all shoot at least 41 percent from long range. Cook’s huge improvement as a scorer has really made this team better in 2013. Having Ryan Kelly back in the lineup gives this team the stretch forward they really need. The key for Duke will be on the defensive end. This year’s team has been better than last season on the defensive end, but they still aren’t stellar. Opponents often get too many second chance opportunities against the Blue Devils.
Free Pick: Over 144.5
This is a matchup of two of the most efficient offenses in the country. Look for both teams to shoot it well in this one, and a close game often leads to a lot of free throws. I like the over.
Duke 77 Creighton 73
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- Basketball Pick: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Penn State Nittany Lions - February 27, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Cal Golden Bears vs. Arizona Wildcats - February 26, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Florida Gators vs. Vanderbilt Commodores - February 25, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Louisville vs. Cincinnati - February 22, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Michigan State Spartans vs. Purdue Boilermakers - February 20, 2014