Flyers vs. Penguins Pick
Probable Goalies: Philadelphia (Bryzgalov) vs. Pittsburgh (Fleury)
Date/Time: March 24th, 7:30 PM ET
Television: NBC Sports Network
NHL Betting Odds from Sportsbook
Moneyline: Penguins -180
NHL Betting Game Trends
- Flyers are 7-3 in their last 10 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Flyers are 2-5 in their last 7 overall.
- Flyers are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Flyers are 4-11 in their last 15 vs. Atlantic.
- Flyers are 4-12 in their last 16 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Penguins are 4-0 in their last 4 vs. Atlantic.
- Penguins are 4-0 in their last 4 Sunday games.
- Penguins are 41-12 in their last 53 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Penguins are 46-15 in their last 61 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Penguins are 40-14 in their last 54 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Penguins are 43-16 in their last 59 games following a win.
For the fourth time this season, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Philadelphia Flyers are set to do battle, as they’ll meet on Sunday night in the Steel City in NHL betting action.
The Flyers haven’t put up more than three goals in a game since losing to these Pens 5-4 back on March 7th, and they haven’t scored more than three in a winning effort since February 27th. Needless to say, that’s going to have to change and change in a hurry if they are going to get back into the playoff push in the Eastern Conference. The offense is now down to averaging just 2.7 goals per game on the campaign, which is only good enough to be a middle of the road team, while the defense has continued to really slack off. G Ilya Bryzgalov, who figures to get the nod on Sunday, has just a 2.79 GAA and is a part of the reason why the team is allowing 3.0 goals per game on average. This one though, comes after five straight days off, as the last time the Flyers were on the ice was back on March 18th against the Tampa Bay Lightning. In this condensed season, that’s a heck of a period of time off, and the team absolutely has to take advantage of that.
The Penguins meanwhile, are now winners of 11 in a row, as they knocked off the New York Islanders on Friday to widen their lead in the Atlantic Division to 14 points with just 16 games to play. The only competition that Pittsburgh has right now is coming from the Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens, who are right on its backside at the moment with 43 and 45 points respectively. Injuries are really starting to mount for this team as well. D Kris Letang has a lower body injury that has kept him out for the last week, while C Evgeni Malkin has now missed two consecutive weeks with an upper body injury. C Tyler Kennedy was scratched from Friday’s win in Long Island as well. G Marc-Andre Fleury and G Tomas Vokoun have done tremendously well in net for this team of late, as the Penguins have allowed a total of just eight goals in their last seven games.
The Flyers though, are the right team to back in this one. They have been sitting and resting over the course of the last few days, and they have clearly been preparing for just this game. Philly is 8-2 in its last 10 trips to the Steel City, and that’s going to be good enough for us to want to back it at tremendously + odds.
Philadelphia Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins Pick: Philadelphia Flyers +165
Latest posts by Adam Markowitz (see all)
- NFL Pick of the Week – 2013 Week 14 - December 4, 2013
- NBA Pick: San Antonio Spurs vs. Minnesota Timberwolves - December 4, 2013
- NHL Pick: Philadelphia Flyers vs. Detroit Red Wings - December 4, 2013
- NHL Puck-Line Power Poll as of 12/4/13 - December 4, 2013
- Week 14 NFL Odds Analysis - December 4, 2013