FOX Saturday Baseball Pick: Chicago @ Pittsburgh
Starting Pitchers: Chicago Cubs (Maholm) vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (Correia)
Date/Time: May 26th, 7:10 PM EST
MLB Betting Odds from BetOnline
Moneyline: Cubs (+110) Pirates (-120)
MLB Betting Game Trends
- Chi Cubs are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Chi Cubs’s last 9 games on the road
- Chi Cubs are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Chi Cubs’s last 11 games when playing Pittsburgh
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 7 games at home
- Pittsburgh is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Pittsburgh’s last 11 games when playing Chi Cubs
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 8 games when playing at home against Chi Cubs
NL Central foes duke it out on Saturday night in the Steel City in MLB betting action, as the Chicago Cubs take on the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Cubs remain as one of the worst teams in baseball, and they are really on the verge of a disastrous season with a win tally in the 60s when push comes to shove. That isn’t going to make anyone in the Windy City happy, though there is clearly some slack that is being issued to the club, as fans know that the newly acquired Theo Epstein is going to need some time to get this team the way that he wants it. Saturday night is going to give a chance for one of the new pieces to the puzzle put into play this year, Paul Maholm to go against his former team. Maholm was generally a terrible pitcher for the Pirates, racking up just a 53-73 record for them in his time in the Steel City. This year, he is 4-3 for the Cubs, but the four wins came in succession from the end of April through the beginning of May. He has a 4.73 ERA, but the rest of his splits are solid with a 1.20 WHIP and a 27/12 K/BB ratio in 45.2 innings of work. This is the first time that Maholm is going to be going against his former club.
In spite of the fact that the Pirates have been competitive this year, there just has been no luck whatsoever for Kevin Correia. He is the man that is going to be getting the ball on Saturday night, and he is going to try to break a streak of five straight games in which he has taken the loss. This righty has been bad for most of the year though, as he has just 16 strikeouts in 46.0 innings of work and 15 walks against them. Batter are hitting just .243 against Correia, yet he still has a 4.50 ERA that clearly isn’t improving all that much. Correia has been terrible against the Cubs in his career, going 3-4 with a 6.28 ERA in 12 appearances, eight of which have been starts.
In the end, both of these pitchers have been suspect at best, and we think that it is going to show on Saturday night. Correia could be in a lot of trouble especially, as he routinely allows three or more runs, usually completing six or fewer innings of work. That’s why we like the ‘over’ in this one, knowing that both of these teams should be getting to at least four runs in all likelihood.
Chicago Cubs @ Pittsburgh Pirates Pick: Cubs/Pirates Over 7.5
Latest posts by Adam Markowitz (see all)
- NBA Pick: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder - December 13, 2013
- NFL Betting: NFL Matchups for Week 15 - December 12, 2013
- Army vs. Navy Pick - December 12, 2013
- NFL Betting By the Numbers: Week 15 - December 12, 2013
- NBA Pick: Los Angeles Clippers vs. Brooklyn Nets - December 12, 2013