Georgetown Hoyas vs. Syracuse Orange Pick
Georgetown vs Syracuse Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Friday February 23, 4:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from WagerWeb
Point Spread: Syracuse -7
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Georgetown is 2-8 SU in its last 10 games when playing on the road against Syracuse
- Georgetown is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Georgetown’s last 6 games on the road
- Syracuse is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games when playing at home against Georgetown
- Syracuse is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Georgetown
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Syracuse’s last 6 games when playing Georgetown
- Syracuse is 13-5 SU in its last 18 games when playing Georgetown
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Syracuse’s last 6 games at home
- Syracuse is 21-4 SU in its last 25 games
- Syracuse is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Georgetown was likely already really fired up for this game, but the comments from Carter-Williams had to add a little bit of fuel to the fire. The Hoyas were expected to slip quite a bit this year, but that hasn’t happened. In fact, Georgetown is tied at the top of the Big East Conference with Syracuse at 10-3. Otto Porter is a candidate for Player of the Year in the Big East. Porter averages 15 points and 8 boards per game. He is shooting 45 percent from beyond the arc.
The Hoyas have been without star Greg Whittington for quite a while, and it has been surprising to see the team hang in there so well without him in the lineup. Point guard Markel Starks has really matured this year, and he has become a strong second option on the offensive end. Defensively, the Hoyas are very good as they normally are. Georgetown is holding opponents to just 56.1 points per game. Opponents are shooting 37.6 percent from the floor so far this year.
Syracuse has been a bit up and down this year. The Orange beat Louisville on the road, but then struggled through a recent stretch. Their win over Providence last time out was their best performance in a while, and they’ll look to keep their momentum going in this one. When the team has struggled this year it has been because of their offense. James Southerland is the team’s most consistent shooter, and having him back is huge for this offense. Southerland’s ability to stretch the defense opens up driving lanes for guys like Carter-Williams and C.J. Fair. Syracuse generally dominates on the offensive glass, and they should get a lot of second chance opportunities in this one.
Every year Syracuse has a tough matchup zone, and this season is no different. Jim Boeheim does a nice job bringing in guys who have a lot of length and athleticism on the perimeter to make it tough to shoot over this zone. Zone defenses are typically easy to shoot the long ball against, but not this zone. Opponents shoot only 28.9 percent from three-point land and 37.0 percent from the floor overall. The Orange have been very good all year on this end of the floor.
Free Pick: Under 122
These teams don’t like each other, and they both like to play physical basketball. The physicality of this game is likely to lead to a defensive battle. Look for a low scoring one here.
Syracuse 61 Georgetown 56
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/17 and 4/18 - April 19, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/14 and 4/15 - April 14, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/10 and 4/11 - April 10, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/7 - April 7, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting April 4 - April 4, 2014