Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. BYU Cougars Pick
Gonzaga vs. BYU Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Thursday February 28, 11:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from Sportsbook.AG
Point Spread: Gonzaga -6
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Gonzaga’s last 5 games on the road
- Gonzaga is 6-13-1 ATS in its last 20 games on the road
- Gonzaga is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of BYU’s last 6 games
- BYU is 20-2 SU in its last 22 games at home
- BYU is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
- BYU is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- BYU is 18-7 SU in its last 25 games
Gonzaga was expected to be very good this year, but not many people saw the team dominated the West Coast Conference the way they have. One of the biggest reasons for their domination of the conference has been the emergence of center Kelly Olynyk. Olynyk was thought of as a nice piece in the preseason, but you certainly never heard much about him. Now, he is a likely first-team All-American. Olynyk is averaging 18 points and 7 rebounds per game. He is one of the most dominant big men in the game.
Elias Harris and Kevin Pangos are stars for the Bulldogs as well. Harris is a guy the NBA scouts really like because of his versatility. He can play in the post or step out and shoot from outside. Pangos shoots 45 percent from three-point range, and he is a great decision maker with the basketball. Defensively, the Zags are much better than they were a year ago. They are one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the nation. Opponents are averaging just 60.2 points per game against this defense.
BYU completed an amazing comeback in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last year to beat Iona in a very memorable game. The Cougars will have to do something special just to get back to the tournament this year. BYU has a lot of talent, but the team hasn’t put it all together yet this year. Tyler Haws leads the team in scoring at 20.9 points per game. Haws is a 6’5 guard who can get his shot almost anytime he wants it. The Cougars also have a lot of strength in the frontcourt with Brandon Davies anchoring the front line. Davies single-handedly kept the team in the game against St. Mary’s, and he should have a great matchup with Olynyk in this one.
Offensively, BYU is averaging 77.3 points per game, so that really isn’t a problem. The problem for the Cougars has been their defense. BYU has given up 74 points or more in five of their last nine games. Gonzaga put up 83 points against BYU last time out. If BYU is going to pull off the upset in this one, their defense will have to clamp down and make life difficult on guys like Olynyk and Harris.
Free Pick: Gonzaga -6
This might not be the best spot for the Bulldogs, but they are clearly the better team. Mark Few’s team is on a mission right now, and I don’t see a letdown in this one.
Gonzaga 81 BYU 70
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- NFL Week 14 Betting Trends - December 6, 2013
- College Football Week 15 Betting Trends - December 6, 2013
- NFL Week 13 Betting Trends - November 27, 2013
- College Football Week 14 Betting Trends - November 27, 2013
- Basketball Pick: Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Michigan State Spartans - November 22, 2013