Memphis Tigers vs. Xavier Musketeers Pick
Memphis vs Xavier Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Tuesday February 26, 7:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from WagerWeb
Point Spread: Memphis -3.5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Memphis is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Memphis’s last 12 games on the road
- Xavier is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Xavier’s last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Xavier’s last 6 games
Memphis has rarely even been tested inside Conference USA this year, but it’s hard to say whether that is because the Tigers are that good or the rest of the conference is that awful. Memphis has been making a habit out of losing their first game in the NCAA Tournament the last few years, so they have a lot to prove this year. This road test should prove to be a bit of an audition for Memphis. The Tigers have benefited from much improved point guard play from Joe Jackson this year. Jackson has always been talented, but he is making better decisions with the basketball this season. Jackson leads the team in scoring, assists, and field goal percentage.
Memphis has been doing it of late without Antonio Barton, who is a key member of the team. Barton is out until at least mid-March with a hairline fracture in his right foot. Memphis shoots 48 percent from the floor as a team, which is among the best in the nation. Tarik Black can be a real beast on the inside, but he needs to stay out of foul trouble. The Tigers defense has been good this year, but it is what has held the team back in their last couple March Madness losses.
Xavier is coming off a very disappointing home loss to VCU. Xavier led by 13 at the half before VCU came from behind to win by 4 on Xavier’s home court. That was a game that the Musketeers really needed to win. The fact that they lost that one makes this game all that much more important. The Musketeers have made several great NCAA Tournament runs in the past few years, but unless they put together an improbable run in the next couple weeks, they’ll be sitting out of the Big Dance this season.
Turnovers have been a problem for Xavier, and that was the reason VCU was able to come back and beat the Musketeers on Saturday. Xavier has been great on the glass this year, and they have been solid on the defensive end as well. Semaj Christon may only be a freshman, but he is already the team’s leader and best player. Christon excels at getting into the lane and getting to the free throw line. Senior forward Travis Taylor is the Musketeers best low post player. He averages 11.6 points and 8.6 boards per game.
Xavier has certainly had more tough tests than Memphis of late, and I think that could make them a nice value at home. The Musketeers badly need this win, and I think they are worth a look getting points at home.
Xavier 66 Memphis 65
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- Basketball Pick: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Penn State Nittany Lions - February 27, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Cal Golden Bears vs. Arizona Wildcats - February 26, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Florida Gators vs. Vanderbilt Commodores - February 25, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Louisville vs. Cincinnati - February 22, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Michigan State Spartans vs. Purdue Boilermakers - February 20, 2014