MLB Pick: Boston Red Sox at Detroit Tigers
Having dropped five of their last eight contests, the Red Sox will call on Allen Webster to make spot start in place of Clay Bucholz. Manager John Farrell is rolling the dice by starting Webster, who followed up an impressive MLB debut against the Royals by getting shelled by the Twins, allowing eight runs while failing to get out of the second inning. The Tigers offense is far more potent
than their divisional counterparts and could pose a huge threat to Webster and the Red Sox bullpen.
Webster will have little room for error as he faces Max Scherzer, whose record remains unblemished 14 starts into the season. Scherzer has been lights out in June, recording three wins while posting a 1.80 ERA. The Tigers have won 11 of his 14 starts this season and Saturday’s matchup leaves little doubt that number will rise. While the numbers sway heavily in Scherzer’s favor, the Sox can find solace in the fact that Detroit’s right hander has struggled mightily against the AL East leaders in the past, compiling a 1-3 career record with an inflated 9.21 ERA.
The Tigers are 24-12 at home this season and show no signs of slowing down as they look to increase their four game lead. Look for the Tigers to give Scherzer some early run support and the right hander will give seven-plus strong innings en route to his 11th win.
Boston Red Sox at Detroit Tigers Pick: Detroit Tigers -140
Latest posts by Cole Ryan (see all)
- NHL Playoff Pick: Columbus Blue Jackets vs Pittsburgh Penguins - April 19, 2014
- NBA Playoffs Pick: New Jersey Nets vs. Toronto Raptors GM1 - April 19, 2014
- MLB Picks of the Day: April 19th - April 19, 2014
- 2014 NBA Playoffs Preview: No. 2 Oklahoma City Thunder vs. No. 7 Memphis Grizzlies - April 19, 2014
- 2014 NBA Playoffs Preview: No. 1 Indiana Pacers vs. No. 8 Atlanta Hawks - April 19, 2014