NCAA Football Week 1 Preview and Pick: Northwestern vs. Syracuse
College Football Picks
Date/Time: Saturday, Sept.1 12 p.m. (ET)
NFL Odds from BetAnySports
Point Spread: Northwestern -2
Football Betting Game Trends
- Northwestern is 7-16 ATS in its last 23 games
- Northwestern is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Northwestern’s last 5 games
- Northwestern is 3-6 SU in its last 9 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Northwestern’s last 9 games on the road
- Syracuse is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games
- Syracuse is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Syracuse’s last 7 games
- Syracuse is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
NCAA Football – Week 1
Northwestern missed out on a winning season last year with a 33-22 loss to Texas A&M in the Meineke Car Care Bowl that dropped it to 6-7 overall. The Wildcats have been opened as 40/1 longshots to win the Big Ten this season after going 3-5 in conference play in 2011.Their odds to win the Legends Division in the Big Ten are 15/1.
The strength of this team still lies in a potent offense that averaged close to 30 points a game in 2011 despite having some protection issues with its offensive line. Kain Colter steps in for the departed Dan Persa at quarterback which should add a whole new dimension to the offensive attack. Last season, Colter threw for 660 yards in a backup role, but led the team in rushing with 589 yards on the ground. The main concern for the Wildcats is a defense that lost a number of key starters from last year’s squad. They will need to quickly plug some holes to try and improve upon the 27.7 points a game it gave up in 2011.
Syracuse begins its final season in the Big East as a 25/1 longshot to win a conference title before moving to the ACC in 2013. The Orange have not been a factor in the title race the past few seasons and are coming off a 5-7 record overall and a very disappointing 1-6 record in Big East play in 2011. They have now won a grand total of eight conference games in the last five seasons combined.
If Syracuse is going to have any chance at turning things around this year, it will need a much better effort on both sides of the ball. The Orange finished 2011 ranked 84th in the nation in scoring with an average of 24.2 points a game to go along with a defense that was ranked 73rd in points allowed.
Northwestern at Syracuse Pick:
While it is always hard to win on the road on opening day, Northwestern has a clear edge over Syracuse on both offense and defense. Neither team will be a factor in its conference this season, but look for the Wildcats to come away with a victory on the road that easily covers the two-point spread. Northwestern 27 Syracuse 13
Latest posts by Dave Schwab (see all)
- Detroit Pistons vs. Miami Heat Free NBA Pick - December 3, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: New Orleans Saints vs. Seattle Seahawks - December 2, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins - December 1, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: Denver Broncos vs. Kansas City Chiefs - December 1, 2013
- NBA Pick: Golden State Warriors vs. Oklahoma City Thunder - November 29, 2013