Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Los Angeles Lakers Pick
Date/Time: January 27, 3:30 p.m. EST
Basketball Odds from BetOnline Sportsbook
Point Spread: Thunder -3
NBA Betting Trends
Oklahoma City Thunder
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Oklahoma City’s last 6 games when playing on the road against LA Lakers
- Oklahoma City is 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against LA Lakers
- Oklahoma City is 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games when playing on the road against LA Lakers
- Oklahoma City is 4-13 SU in their last 17 games when playing on the road against LA Lakers
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Oklahoma City’s last 5 games when playing LA Lakers
Los Angeles Lakers
- LA Lakers are 13-4 SU in their last 17 games when playing at home against Oklahoma City
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of the LA Lakers last 6 games when playing at home against Oklahoma City
- LA Lakers are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games when playing at home against Oklahoma City
- LA Lakers are 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 games when playing at home against Oklahoma City
- LA Lakers are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games when playing Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City is cruising along with the best record in the NBA. The Lakers were expected to be their top competition in the Western Conference, but it hasn’t turned out that way at all. Instead, the Lakers are 19-25 and they have the worst team chemistry in the NBA. They’ll get another chance to show they can play with the best in the NBA on Sunday afternoon when they host the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Oklahoma City will be playing its ninth road game in the past ten contests on Sunday. The Thunder have lost two of their last four, but those losses came against Denver and Golden State. Oklahoma City is 15-7 away from home so far this year. Oklahoma City’s offense is like a well-oiled machine. Kevin Durant is the best pure scorer in the NBA, and he is shooting 52 percent from the floor on the year. Kevin Martin is fitting in beautifully with this team because of his ability to drive or shoot the three. Russell Westbrook’s shooting numbers are down, but his assists are at a career high level. Serge Ibaka is more than capable of taking over a game offensively as well.
The Thunder’s offense is excellent, but it has been great for several years. The reason this team has the best record in the NBA this year is their much improved defense. Oklahoma City has a couple defensive stars on the inside in Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins. Durant and Westbrook have also worked very hard to be better on the defensive end. As a team, Oklahoma City is allowing opponents to shoot just 43 percent from the floor.
The Los Angeles Lakers did pick up a win on Friday night against the Utah Jazz. The 102-84 win at home was the Lakers best game in quite a while, but we shouldn’t make too much out of one game. The Lakers are so far down right now that it seems very improbable that the team can make a run to the playoffs. They would likely have to win more than 70 percent of their games from here on out. Pau Gasol is coming off the bench and Earl Clark is in the starting lineup for now. Mike D’Antoni is trying to push some buttons and see if it helps this team.
Kobe Bryant is putting up huge scoring numbers, but it isn’t helping the team win. Bryant is averaging 28.9 points per game and shooting 47 percent from the floor. He actually had just 14 points, but racked up 14 assists in the team’s win over Utah Friday. Will Bryant look to become more of a facilitator to help this team? Dwight Howard has to start imposing his will down low, and the team definitely still needs Gasol to be a big contributor. Steve Nash looks to be getting more comfortable at the point guard spot. Los Angeles’ defense has been miserable much of the year, and that will be tested here.
Free Pick: Thunder -3
Oklahoma City has been on the road for a while, but they are still a young team. The Lakers haven’t proven they can beat top teams this year. Look for the Thunder to put up a big number and cover the spread here.
Thunder 111 Lakers 102
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/17 and 4/18 - April 19, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/14 and 4/15 - April 14, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/10 and 4/11 - April 10, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting 4/7 - April 7, 2014
- MLB Betting Trends for Series Starting April 4 - April 4, 2014