Syracuse vs Indiana Sweet 16 Pick
March Madness Picks
Date/Time: Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:45 p.m. (ET)
College Basketball Odds from VietBet
Point Spread: Indiana -5.5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Syracuse is 8-3 ATS in their last 11 non-conference games.
- Syracuse is 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Syracuse is 2-5 ATS in their last 7 NCAA Tournament games.
- Syracuse is 1-4 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big Ten.
- Indiana is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 Thursday games.
- Indiana is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big East.
- Indiana is 16-6-1 ATS in their last 23 non-conference games.
- Indiana is 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Indiana is 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
- Indiana is 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
Syracuse opened its NCAA Tournament play by completely dismantling Montana 81-34 as a 13-point favorite. The going got a bit tougher the next time out, but the Orange still came away with a 66-60 victory over California as 7.5-point favorites. They are now 6-2 straight-up in their last eight games and an even 4-4 against the spread. The total has gone OVER in four of their last six games.
Scoring has not been an issue for Syracuse this season with four different players averaging over 12 points for a combined team total of 71 points a game. CJ Fair and Brandon Triche have led the way with a combined 28.3 points a game. Fair scored a team-high 18 points against Cal with James Sutherland chipping-in another 14 points in the winning effort. The Orange have also played solid on defense this season and are holding opponents to an average of just 59.4 points a game.
It took some last minute heroics by Victor Oladipo to get Indiana past Temple in this past Sunday’s 58-52 victory as a 12-point favorite. This was after the Hoosiers blasted James Madison 83-62 in their first tournament game last Friday. That game ended as a PUSH with Indiana favored by 21 points. It is now 5-3 SU in its last eight contests but just 2-5-1 ATS. The total has stayed UNDER in five of its last seven games.
Indiana’s other big man, Cody Zeller posted 11 points against JMU and 15 points against the Owls after averaging 16.9 points a game during the regular season. Jordan Hulls, who is averaging 10 points and three assists a game, banged-up his shoulder in Sunday’s win but is listed as probable for Thursday night. The Hoosiers, as a whole, are averaging 80 points a game and shooting 48.6 percent from the field while holding teams to an average of 62.1 points on the other end of the court.
Right off the bat, a play on the OVER looks good given the way that both teams can put points on the board. Indiana has the clear-cut advantage over the Orange in both overall talent and depth, but it has struggled to play to that level lately against the better teams it has faced. In a tight matchup such as this, the top play is to take Syracuse to cover with the 5.5 points.
Indiana 75 Syracuse 73
Latest posts by Dave Schwab (see all)
- NBA Pick: New York Knicks vs. Brooklyn Nets - December 5, 2013
- Detroit Pistons vs. Miami Heat Free NBA Pick - December 3, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: New Orleans Saints vs. Seattle Seahawks - December 2, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins - December 1, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: Denver Broncos vs. Kansas City Chiefs - December 1, 2013