Virginia vs Clemson College Basketball Pick
Clemson at Virginia College Basketball Pick
Date/Time: Thursday February 7, 7:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from BetOnline Sportsbook
Point Spread: Virginia -6.5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
- Clemson is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- Clemson is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games when playing on the road against Virginia
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Virginia’s last 6 games when playing Clemson
- Virginia is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against Clemson
- Virginia is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing Clemson
- Virginia is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Clemson
- Virginia is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- Virginia is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
NCAA Basketball Pick
The Virginia Cavaliers (15-6, 5-3 ACC) host the Clemson Tigers (12-9, 4-5 ACC) Thursday at 7:00 PM ET on ESPN2 in ACC action. Oddsmakers have listed Virginia as a 6.5-point favorite.
Why Virginia Covers
The Cavaliers will be lacking no focus or motivation when they hit the floor Thursday night. They are coming off a 66-60 loss at Georgia Tech that ended a four-game winning streak. Plus, they lost the season’s first meeting at Clemson 59-44 back on Jan. 12 so they will be out for some revenge. One has to like Virginia’s chances at home where it is a perfect 13-0 this season. Keep in mind that these 13 wins have come by an average of 18.1 points.
While Virginia has shined at home, Clemson has struggled on the road where it has lost five straight by an average of 13.0 points. The Tigers have averaged just 54.6 points in these five defeats and could have trouble reaching this dismal average against a Virginia team that gets after it on defense.
The Cavs currently rank second in the nation in scoring defense with 52.0 points allowed per game. They rank 10th in field goal percentage defense, holding their opponents to just 37.3 percent shooting.
Why Clemson Covers
The Tigers won the season’s first meeting 59-44 while shooting 51.5 percent from the floor. Virginia had no answer for Milton Jennings, who scored 21 points on 7 of 13 shooting. The Cavaliers held leading scorer Devin Booker to just 3 of 10 shooting, but he still managed 15 points as he got to the foul line and connected on 9 of 12 free throws. Overall, the Tigers made 11 more free throws (19) than the Cavs attempted (8). Clemson knows it will be tough to shoot as high of a percentage in Virginia’s building so it will look to win this game by winning the free throw battle.
Clemson has won two in a row against Virginia with both wins coming by double digits. The Tigers have lost their last three on the road in the series, but each loss came by a narrow margin. In fact, each of these defeats came by four points or less with one of them coming in overtime.
Prediction: I expect Virginia to have its revenge against the Tigers here. It has been lights out at home while Clemson has struggled on the road. Plus, you can bet it’s not sitting well with the Cavs that they have lost two straight in the series by double digits. They’ll be the hungrier team tonight and will play with a ton of confidence at home like they always do. I recommend laying the points.
Latest posts by Cole Ryan (see all)
- NFL Free Agency Begins: 3 Teams Ready To Spend - March 10, 2014
- Southern Conference Tournament: Western Carolina vs. Wofford - March 10, 2014
- Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament: Manhattan vs. Iona - March 10, 2014
- Colonial Conference Tournament: Delaware Blue vs William & Mary - March 10, 2014
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament: Indiana State vs. Wichita State - March 9, 2014