Washington Redskins vs. New Orleans Saints Free NFL Pick
Date/Time: September 9, 1:00 pm EST
NFL Odds from BetDSI
Point Spread: Saints -7
NFL Betting Game Trends
- Washington is 1-3-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 15 of Washington’s last 23 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington’s last 7 games
- Washington is 2-10 SU in its last 12 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Washington’s last 5 games on the road
New Orleans Saints
- New Orleans is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of New Orleans’s last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of New Orleans’s last 5 games at home
- New Orleans is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of New Orleans’s last 7 games when playing Washington
NFL Pick – Week 1
The New Orleans Saints will be without some key players and Sean Payton in this one, but the team still has a loaded roster. Washington will have RG3 under center in his first regular season game as a professional. The Saints want to show they can move past the cloud of uncertainty caused by Bountygate, while the Redskins want to kick the season off with a win and stay competitive in the NFC East.
Robert Griffin III won the Heisman Trophy last year, and his final season of college football was one that will forever be remembered. However, now it is time for him to make his mark on the NFL. Griffin looked pretty good in the preseason, but avid fans of the league know the preseason means very little. The games are for real now, and RG3 is going to be playing under a microscope. He certainly has the talent to be a star in this league, but it’s hard to tell how quick that will come.
Roy Helu and Evan Royster are expected to share the tailback duties for Washington this year. Mike Shanahan hasn’t been able to get a running game going here in Washington like he has been able to in the past. The offensive line must improve in 2012. Pierre Garcon was a nice offseason pickup, and he should help this offense quite a bit. Defensively, Washington is good at getting pressure on the quarterback. Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo are terrific defensive ends for the Redskins. Other than the pass rush, the Redskins were average or worse in almost every defensive statistic last year. The secondary has been the weak point of this unit for the past few years.
Drew Brees took a while to get signed, but he’s back in the fold and ready to go. Brees broke the NFL single-season record for passing yards last year. Brees is in the prime of his career, and he is a great leader for this offense. The Saints have no shortage of weapons around him. No team has more depth at the running back spot. Mark Ingram, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, and Chris Ivory are all very good runners. The emergence of Jimmy Graham as an elite tight end gives this team arguably the best group of pass catchers in the league as well. Marques Colston is a very reliable number one, and Nick Toon should contribute in his rookie season. This offense is absolutely stacked, and it’s hard to imagine many teams holding them down.
The Saints defense will take a big hit with Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma out with a suspension. Smith is easily the team’s best pass rusher, and the defensive line is a weakness right now. Vilma was a vocal leader at linebacker, and he’ll be missed in a big way. Malcolm Jenkins has looked good in his new role as free safety for this team. The Saints won the Super Bowl a couple years ago when the defense forced tons of turnovers, but last year this defense couldn’t get takeaways. This group either must get more takeaways or become more of a shut down unit.
Free NFL Pick:
The Saints should be out to prove a point in this game. I expect Griffin to have a nice career, but he’ll likely have some growing pains. Look for the Saints offense to run up some big numbers here on their way to a cover.
New Orleans 35 Washington 20
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- Basketball Pick: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Penn State Nittany Lions - February 27, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Cal Golden Bears vs. Arizona Wildcats - February 26, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Florida Gators vs. Vanderbilt Commodores - February 25, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Louisville vs. Cincinnati - February 22, 2014
- Basketball Pick: Michigan State Spartans vs. Purdue Boilermakers - February 20, 2014