Wichita State vs Ohio State NCAA Tournament Pick
March Madness Picks
Date/Time: Saturday March 30, 2013 7:05 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from Wagerweb
Point Spread: Ohio State TBD
Basketball Betting Game Trends
Wichita State Shockers
- Wichita State is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 non-conference games.
- Wichita State is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Saturday games.
- Wichita State is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
- Wichita State is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Wichita State is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 neutral site games.
- Wichita State is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big Ten.
Ohio State Buckeyes
- Ohio State is 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Ohio State is 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
- Ohio State is 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games following a S.U. win.
- Ohio State is 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
- Ohio State is 5-2 ATS in their last 7 neutral site games.
The second-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes (29-7 straight-up, 20-13-1 against the spread) knew going into the NCAA Tournament that they were in the weakest region with the weakest top seed. The Buckeyes faced their toughest test in the Sweet 16 on Thursday and needed a second straight game-winning shot in the final seconds to upend No. 6 Arizona 73-70 and advance into the Elite Eight. Meanwhile, the ninth-seeded Wichita State Shockers (29-8 SU, 18-14-2 ATS) played a big role in exposing No. 1 Gonzaga by upsetting the Bulldogs 76-70 last Saturday. Then the Shockers simply rolled into the West Regional Final with a 72-58 rout of No. 13 La Salle later Thursday at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Ohio State will now face Wichita State on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. (ET) for the second spot in the Final Four.
The Buckeyes have failed to cover the spread in their last two games in the Big Dance, but that has not stopped them from winning 11 in a row overall, including their impressive run to the Big Ten Conference Tournament title. In their 78-75 win over Iowa State in the third round, it was point guard Aaron Craft taking a controversial charge in the final minutes and then hitting the game-winning 3-pointer.
In the Sweet 16, Ohio State fell behind early against the Wildcats and trailed 38-34 at halftime before rallying with a strong second half. However, Arizona was still able to tie the game in the final minute before the Buckeyes held the ball for the final shot once again, only this time it was LaQuinton Ross with the game-winner from beyond the arc. Ross scored 17 points while Deshaun Thomas had a team-high 20. Thomas has totaled 20 or more in each game of the NCAA Tournament so far after failing to score that many in the team’s previous nine games, eight of which were wins.
For the Shockers, this Elite Eight appearance is the perfect opportunity for them to prove themselves against a major program. They were able to knock out another mid-major in Gonzaga and really showed they were a team to be reckoned with in their second-round rout of No. 8 Pittsburgh, 73-55. Wichita has held its last six opponents to 70 points or less and will likely need to hold Ohio State in check defensively while continuing to play well offensively in order to have a shot at the Final Four.
The Buckeyes are averaging 82 points in the NCAA Tournament, with the OVER cashing in all three games. That is much different than their performance in the Big Ten, as they totaled more than 70 points just twice in 11 games, including the conference tourney. The total went UNDER in seven of Ohio State’s previous eight games prior to their current run. The Shockers are averaging nearly 74 points in the Big Dance and have seen three of their last four games go OVER along with five of their past seven.
Expect this to be another very competitive game for the Buckeyes with Wichita State keeping pace and trading shots until the end. There should also be plenty of shots to go around for both teams in what will likely be a high-scoring affair. Look for Ohio State to make its second consecutive Final Four appearance by winning a third straight nail-biter…
Pick: Ohio State 75, Wichita State 73
Latest posts by Vegas Matty (see all)
- Wichita State vs Ohio State NCAA Tournament Pick - March 29, 2013
- Arizona vs Ohio State March Madness Pick - March 27, 2013
- La Salle vs Wichita State Basketball Pick - March 27, 2013
- Mississippi Rebels vs La Salle Explorers NCAA Basketball Pick - March 23, 2013
- Iowa St vs Ohio St NCAA Tournament Pick - March 23, 2013